MIDDLESBROUGH POSTAL HISTORY
The first Middlesbrough postal marking was the two-line "MiddlesBro / Penny Post" known used in
black from 1839 to 1841.
From 1842 to 1843 a Middlesbrough circular undated double arc hand-stamp was in use with the name spelt
as "MIDDLESBOROUGH", known used in red, blue and black.
The barred numeral type cancellers began to be issued in England in May 1844 with a different number
allocated to each office. The initial series ran from 1 to 936. In 1854 cancellers were issued with a
combined circular date stamp and a barred numeral obliterator (the so called 'Duplex' hand-stamps).
Number 946 was assigned to Middlesbrough. This type of hand-stamp was in use until the beginning of the
Above: 1878. Cover with 1d red cancelled by Middlesbrough duplex, numeral 946.
Above: 1887. Half-penny newspaper wrapper to Sweden cancelled by
Middlesbrough duplex, numeral 946.
Above: 1898. The Duplex cancel on a pair of half-penny red stamps.
Above: 1900. The Duplex cancel on a pair of half-penny green stamps